CLICK HERE FOR FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES, LINK BUTTONS AND MORE! »

Thursday, October 9, 2008

The first step to recovery is admitting you have a problem, right?

My name is Heidi and I have a problem...

I have always said that it is a good thing I was born and raised a Mormon. I'm afraid to imagine what I would be like if I had been exposed to drugs and alcohol. I have a very addictive personality. As it is, trying to stay away from ice cream (3 weeks and counting, with only one, ok, two slip-ups) has proved VERY hard and I completely gave up on the campaign to free myself from the clutches of Swedish fish candy.

I thought I had a handle on that sort of thing, until today. I have been working on the kids' Halloween costumes and decided that today would be a good day to make Rachel's Abby Cadabby wand and hair bows. Here is a pic of Abby in case you don't know who she is:

Photobucket

I was planning on using some ribbon to make the poofy part of the wand and some pink/purple poofy hair bows so that Rachie can have piggytails that look like Abby's hair. I started with the wand. No problem. I just used several different colors and widths of ribbon. A little spray starch and voila! We have the wand! Now onto the hair bows. I knew exactly which ribbon I would use. I have some bright pink and bright purple 1/8 inch grosgrain that will be perfecto! I can even glue on some little flowers like Abby has. I opened up my ribbon drawer and quickly found my purple ribbon. After a few moments of searching for the pink, I couldn't find it. Thinking to myself, "I know I bought pink, this drawer is a mess, I will just clean it up and then I will find what I am looking for."

I started by separating the ribbon into types (grosgrain, satin, organdy, etc). After about 30 minutes of separating and rolling the ribbon back onto the spools, I decided that I would never again let my ribbon get that messy and tangled. Now came the tricky part. In those categories, how do I organize them? By width? Color? Patterned/plain? Oh, the possibilities!

After another 30 minutes I came to a few conclusions.
First one was: I have WAY too much ribbon. What started innocently as a few spools here and there to supplement my card making and scrapbooking has become an addiction to buying ribbon, especially since Cami turned me on to making bows for Rachel's hair a couple of years ago. Seriously...what was I thinking when I bought some of this? When will I ever use cream colored ribbon with a pink and white argyle pattern on it? It was probably in the clearance bin at Michaels (another addiction...clearance bins). Oh, and why in the world do I have 7 (yes, SEVEN) spools of 3/8 inch black and white gingham ribbon? On the bright side, my ribbon drawer now looks lovely!

As I stood there cleaning it all up and categorizing it, I began thinking about the other addictions I have in my life. Here are a few: Scrapbooking stuff (both paper and digital), stamps, acrylic paints, stickers, craft books and magazines, markers and crayons, spiral notebooks, cute fabric (I'll just buy a yard of it, it is so cute!), chocolate...the list goes on and on. No wonder I can't get ahead of the mess in this house. I have a full blown craft-supply addiction.

Thus begins my new policy. No more craft stuff (unless it is for a specific project and I have checked to make sure I don't already have the supplies, and then I will only buy exactly what I need, not more, and I will stay away from any and all clearance bins). Think I can do it?

Oh, guess what?!?! I never did find that darn pink ribbon.

4 comments:

Kerry said...

Heidi, as one craft addict to another-I can TOTALLY understand. My excuse-it keeps me sane. :)

Andrea Shaw, Alisa Edmunds, Rose Wright, Scott Campbell‎, and Maddison Lewis said...

How funny. I went grocery shopping and came home realizing that I am a hoarder. I hoard food. I guess that's good cause I can refer to it as "food storage" (hehehe). Since I live so far away from the store, I hate running out of something and having to make a huge trip just to get something like honey mustard. I unconciously have been turning my pantry into a mini mart. I'll probably write more about it on my blog if I ever stop reorganizing my food storage.

Andrea Shaw, Alisa Edmunds, Rose Wright, Scott Campbell‎, and Maddison Lewis said...

Oh, yeah, and my addiction to blogging. Not so much of posting my blogs so I can have my all inclusive journal at the end of the year, like I intended, but checking my blog list and email 3-4 times a day just in case someone has something new to say. Is that really addictive???

The Babkm5 said...

I think we all need something or some way to remain sain...you just do it with your lovely crafting, which by the way you are FABULOUS at!

I start out with a hobbie and try to "MAKE IT MY OWN" but then I get bored or feel that it cost to much. So eventually I give it up.

I don't really have any addictions that I should, my addiction has become pepsi...any ideas on how to replace that? :)